24 March 2011

thursday night -- intermission to homework.

Thirteen-year-old Rebecca Black's viral hit single "Friday" should have the following subtitle:

"A celebration of mediocrity."

As this is the night before Friday, I thought I would take a moment to pause and reflect on some recent world news.

In other parts of the world in the last week or so, thirteen-year-old kids experienced the terror of tsunami following the devastating earthquake in Japan ... thirteen-year-old kids were exposed to and sought shelter from the outbreak of war in Libya ... undoubtedly, thirteen-year-old kids in Israel heralded the news of the bus bombing on March 25 and its precipitant effect with grave sorrow (one 60-year-old woman was killed and 39 were injured in the attack that left the bomber unharmed) ... and furthermore, millions of thirteen-year-old kids do without things you and I take for granted on a daily basis: radios, televisions, internet connection to Facebook, cameras, cell phones and other communication devices, transportation, and basic necessities. A roof overhead. A bed to sleep in. Clean clothes. Food and pure water. A loving family. Thirteen-year-old kids can be found in every part of the world who are persecuted for bearing the name of Jesus.

Do you know how good we have it here in America? I doubt it.

I look at these lyrics and I think, "over-privileged." At thirteen, how many of your friends had brand-new convertible cars? How many of them could drive these minted rides? (Yeah, I used that phrase.) On the weekends, how much time did you have to devote to "partyin' partyin' yeah"? At thirteen, although I loved to spend time with my friends, most of our time spent together involved girl time. You know, the nail-painting, hair-up-doing, make-over, story-telling, build-a-fort, take-a-walk-along-the-beach, make-cookies, fun girl time?

I hear the song and wonder how people think, "this is great music." For a girl who claims a musical background, she should know enough to avoid such poorly-constructed, weak lyrics. On one hand, the song lacks depth. Some shallow-lyric songs still sell, however. What kills the song: the singer lacks conviction, clarity of tone, and moreover, discretion.

Though I realize the song was written before these events took place ... in the wake of earthquake and tsunami, war, famine, deaths, and so on, this song has nothing to offer.

And now, every time I hear someone say "Friday," I hear the squashed strangled, mutilated version instead...

"Et's Fryyeedaeehh, Fryydehh, Gotta git dowwnn on Fryyeeedaaeeh."

Seriously?

Since I cannot stomach disgracing my blog with that video, I'll leave it to you to find the song on YouTube. At this point, you should consider yourself warned. Mediocre is almost too good a word for this one. It's a waste of precious time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment