20 April 2011

four weeks!


Okay!

Can you believe...?

I honestly can't.

Since driving down here in the heat of summer last year,
I have spent thirty-four weeks in California.
More than enough time, if you know what I mean?

I see the (picture) above often off my apartment's balcony.
A delicious California dessert sunset...

(p.s. I didn't count the three weeks I spent in Washington over winter break and Christmas for obvious reasons.)

Four weeks to go...

That is technically 686 hours -- in which time I will teach around 120 hours, work at least 80 hours (yay, part-time employment), attend class another 8 hours, work on my TPA and lesson planning another 250 hours, pack up over another 88 hours (this is relatively true: 3.67 days should about cover it), and sleep about 140 hours (which I suppose doesn't really cut it, at a whopping 20% of 686, but it is an accurate amount).

And then...HOME.

What I am missing right now is hard to put into words, but it includes all things listed in the following run-on sentence: I miss cold nights and icy windshields in the morning, family to hug and talk to and share life with, best friends to meet up with and support and encourage on a face-to-face level (do I have any other type of friend? you all are so wonderful!), the warm conversations, caring embrace and holding hands with my boyfriend, adventures into Seattle for a late-night rendezvous, trips to the mountains and the ocean, sea spray and waves, Maluku's squeaks of excitement, mournful eyes, and distinct fish breath (comes with the nervous dog, who I miss dearly), clucking of hens in the backyard (and chasing the occasional escapee, lovingly named "Blackie" by my mother), late-night fellowships with Community Group from church (my extended family), making faces at the little orange thing swimming in a round tank on the kitchen counter (Scales is an awesome fish with a huge personality, really), my sweet little room to share with only me and a bunch of furniture. Well, that's all for now.

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Somehow I missed that you had started a blog! Hooray!

    What were you doing in Cali? I would miss the seasons too which is why I have not been willing to be convinced by my husband who really tried to get me to move to California. I have to say though that that sunset is stunning. Great capture.

    ReplyDelete