18 April 2011

best medicine.


Laughter is what I'm missing -- so I have to make it up out of thin air, right?

Sometimes it's easier than that.

Teachers are known for being resourceful. This situation is no different. My best resources are my students.

While ranting and raving about how Aldous Huxley's allusions to criticism of Christianity in the wake of World War II as well as the projected affect of the suffragette movement, etc., manifest themselves in his novel Brave New World... I ask if anyone is lost or has a question related to the novel. The following scenario was the ultimate result of said question:

Student, rolling his eyes -- "What do you care about this stuff. You're getting paid, after all."

Me, clearly not expecting the question -- "Huh...?"

Student, gesturing in frustration and shrugging his shoulders -- "You're getting paid, right? Money? As a student teacher? Why else would you do this stuff."

Suddenly the interest of the class is peaked. Student looks at me, a triumphant grin etched across his mug. Ah, so ya think I'm getting money out of the deal, eh? Unfortunately, in light of my recent financial straits due to a year away from home and limited time to work, I found the question insanely and ironically funny, and begin to laugh.

Me, smiling like a moron -- "Oh definitely not. I wish! I do this for free. For you."

Student, as the smug drops off and the pink blooms -- "Wait, what?"

A few other voices joined in to the tune of...

"Seriously, you're forced to do this for free? Well, that's not fair."
"Sick, you do this for fun?" (Not the good kind of sick, I wager. More along the lines of, "There must be something wrong with you!")

Me -- "For fun? Yes and no. I love English and I truly enjoy teaching. But ..."

From the Peanut Gallery (my period 4 boys), I hear a few "Oooh"s.


Other student, smiling -- "I bet you don't like this class huh, Miss Kandt? We're seniors and we don't care..."
"Yeah, Miss Kandt! We don't."
"Did you get to pick this class? It's like, the worst one."
"This has to be frustrating for you."
"You love English??"

Me -- "Honestly, I really do enjoy teaching. You all make things interesting and entertaining. But, it's almost like an internship. You know, you don't get the pay until you get the credential? So, I have to work."

"What do you do?"
"Where do you work?"

Me, shrugging -- "I close at Starbucks most days of the week. I leave here and go to work for at least four hours. Not only do I work during week nights but also weekends. I have a class of my own as well."

Student, now slightly impressed, issues a challenge -- "So, what's your favorite drink."

Me -- "In a tall ice cup: Triple shot espresso over ice, two pumps white mocha and peppermint, and a splash of soy to top it off..."

Um, if that didn't prove it...

Peanut Gallery and others, but mostly the Peanut Gallery:

"When do you work?"
"What days?"
"What's your schedule this week?"
"Can we visit?"

Another student, curious -- "If we come in, can we get drinks for free?"

Master Teacher, exasperated -- "Just go in; get your coffee, say hi, and leave. Simple as that."

Student, turning to fist-bump a friend -- "Ha! What! You just said, 'Get your coffee, get high, and leave' - um, classy!"

Master Teacher, waving -- "Wave hello. Not 'get high'."

Me, without missing a beat -- "Well, I guess it depends on how many shots of espresso you have."

No comments:

Post a Comment