02 November 2010

maturity.

Some events in my life have lead me to read I Corinthians 13:11 with fresh eyes.

intro

I have read the verse before. Thought I understood it in context. This time, when I read it ... well. "Chide" is a good word to describe how I got what I did out of it. The verse, which I originally believed only applied to others (and not to me), convicted me. I need to further analyze my behavior at all times and on all levels -- to include not only group settings and interactions with others individually, but also in my thought life.

side note.

Behavior? I realize this could get dicey. It's fairly obvious what "behavior" entails: action. Basically, what you think, say, and do in any given situation.

Easy enough, right? Yeah, but hard to control. After all, humans have a sinful nature that tries to call the shots.

seeking wisdom

Maturity is something that comes not only through advance in years but also through wisdom. Since wisdom comes from fearing God alone (Proverbs 1:7), couldn't a person be mature beyond his or her years? Have you ever read I Timothy 4:12?

Okay. Yes, I confess. That was a rhetorical question. Now I feel guilty; I have to explain myself. In this verse, Paul is instructing his young pupil Timothy, "Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe." Despite your youth, Timothy, you can darn well be a leader in the faith.

And later on Paul chides, "Take pains with these things; be absorbed in them, so that your progress will be evident to all. Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching; persevere in these things, for as you do this you will ensure salvation both for yourself and for those who hear you."

If you don't think other people pay attention to the way you present yourself, let this be a lesson! Sometimes other people pay closer attention than you do.

action?

*Everything* you think, say, and do is a reflection of what you believe and demonstrates your convictions in this life to a watching world.

For Christians, what we do and say is a reflection of Christ in us. We need to be mindful of our presentation, cautious in our approach. Our actions and words need to match, as they speak volumes about our values and Who we ascribe honor to. You could draw a similar correlation to marriage here, where the husband and wife only do and say what they know will benefit and honor the other person.

maturity

"When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known."
- I Corinthians 13:11-12

I find it interesting that this verse falls after the discussion on "love." Maybe it's the English major in me that enjoys analyzing. Maybe it's just that I want to know more ... but doesn't it seem to imply that to know True Love is to mature into a "man"?

I don't think I'm going out on a limb here.

To love God is to grow in Him, right? Thus, it is for us to truly love God (as described in I Cor 13) and to seek His wisdom after Him (I Cor 13:11). Yes, this means to obey Him.

closing thought

Where does this leave you and I? With a choice.

"Though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food. For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant --"

Have you ever been on a liquid diet? I was on one for a month (I had mandibular surgery in 2005). I lost weight and muscle tone like no one's business. Liquid meals aren't quite satisfying. They are designed to sustain and provide nutrition value, but are never sufficient. Bench-warming at church is like this.

"
--But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil. Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about Christ, let us press on to maturity ..."
- Hebrews 5:12-6:1.

This I write not for my reader alone, but also as a reminder for myself. At work, at school, and so on. It's a choice to serve the Lord. May He be pleased with our thoughts, the words we choose to speak, and our actions today and in the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment