04 December 2010

so i was told.

When I began this TPA project, all I could think of was, get it done and get it out of the way. I'm not a fan of repeating myself.

TPA stands for Teacher Performance Assessment. Apparently, what you have to do for this assignment is "purposeful repetition" in order to prove overmuch that you know what you'll be teaching, that you'll actively participate in getting to know your students (despite the inordinate amount of children per classroom), that you'll know how to relate to the kids in a relevant way, and that you'll present content in a way that will engage students and provide them the incentive to become "lifelong learners." I was told this is what I needed to do to get a "4" (the highest score achievable).

Okay. Yes, this is my intent in teaching. However, asking the same question five times in a row in different ways is just a little tiny bit annoying. Not only that, but it also obliterates my desire to continue to write. If I've already said it and said it well the first time, why in the world would I want to reiterate the obvious? Because it's not obvious to you? Or because, like with math, you need "proof" that what's in my head is what I will use in the classroom to appropriately accomplish my teaching goals?

THIS ... this proofing nonsense ... is exactly why I hated Geometry. I thought it pointless; I always got the right answer, despite my "proof."

On a positive note:

I no longer have two of my classes; they have been canceled for next week.
I am done with observations; just have to fill out an obnoxious amount of forms about each hour.
The assignments are considerably less, as I've done a majority of them already.
My TPA is due on Monday; 2 days from now, I will be DONE with it.
Shenanigans until then.
At least 5 major assignments to go -- I don't have them in front of me for fear I will overwhelm myself :)

On a super positive note:

13 days to go ... less than two weeks!
I get to leave Cali and its dust behind on Dec 17.
I leave the fishbowl of Master's in that dust for the wet jungle of Washington.
I get to see and spend time with my family, my boy, my friends, and my pup for a couple wonderful weeks (first since AUGUST!) and Christmastime festivities!

YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment