15 April 2008

in red square

Impatiently awaiting the jarring ring of the bell, I sat in the hall outside my last class absent-mindedly flipping through a notebook resting in my lap. Just outside, I caught sight of something intriguing :: a crowd with signs. A circle of curious onlookers had already formed around the perimeter of Red Square. Some were staring while others began to smirk, but a few moved to join the others. Soon I heard the intonation of a chant, muffled by the heavy wood doors that sealed the lecture hall off from the square.

As curious as the rest, I moved to position myself closer to the festivities. I found one of the large thick windows to be more to my liking. The chant had swelled to a soothing roar by this time and I could clearly distinguish the words :: "NO. MORE. VIOLENCE." They marched to their slow chant with the sorrow of martyrdom, moving like a fat river across the square and out to the far reaches of the university campus. It was then that I realized this was a walk for peace inspired by the presence of the Dalai Lama in Seattle.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the ideas of peace and prosperity. Both of these commodities, although sought the world over, are evasive. Watching these peace activists, I was a bit non-plussed. How is walking around a college campus in Seattle of benefit to others? Can walking in a cult-like fashion truly feed the hungry, house and clothe the poor, educate the masses, promote peace, or induce any type of economic growth?

"Raising awareness" is at best terribly inadequate.

No comments:

Post a Comment